Sunday, December 18, 2005

Birdlife in Van: It Doesn't Get Any Better

Today was bird-heaven for the likes of nature lovers like myself. As I headed to the sea for my Sunday fitness walk, I approached the seagulls sitting atop the frozen Kits outdoor pool, mostly sleeping in place and warming up in the sunshine. Once I passed Watermark Restaurant, I looked up and saw a Bald Eagle in the tree. A couple walking by pointed out its mate on the rock ahead. My walk was temporarily haulted to watch these two lovely creatures feeding on fish. Somehow they were brave enough to stay even though a crowd of curious onlookers was building up along the shore.





A couple of kayakers (yes, in this winter cold!) stopped to watch the birds as well…



Close to home, on 2nd and Trafalgar, I spotted a Steller's Jay (BC's provincial bird) cruising overhead on its way to a bird feeder.

Days like today only make me appreciate this new city more and more. Friday was our six-month anniversary of arriving in Canada. Yes, time flies. It's incredible though, the amount of things we've seen and done in that time.

Photo credits go out to Kylm - www.klym.ca - thanks for sending me those pix!

No comments: