Wednesday, July 19, 2006

A Different Perspective

I decided to finally bring a digital camera along for the ride in the zippered pocket of my spray skirt this morning. Following are scenes from English Bay and False Creek. As the weather was due to cloud over (never did actually), I was up early to get a 9.30 paddle in. We're due for a heatwave this coming weekend with temps over 30 for many days to come. This means more early morning paddles. The heat and hot July sun are just no good for anyone these days!






A little Harbour Seal swam past me towards Stanley Park.







We'd appear to have more Great Blue Herons here in Vancouver than anywhere else in the world. Click on the photo to enlarge it. It was really a beautiful take-off!



Another great Cormorant encounter, sitting on the rocks of English Bay.



This is about the CLOSEST I've ever come to a Double-Breasted Cormorant. This was a young bird sitting on the dock underneath the Burrard Bridge. As I slowly approached him in my kayak, he seemed to be hopping around from one spot on the dock to another. Could have been slightly injured and waiting for a family member to come and rescue him.



At this point, I was headed towards the kayak rental place and came face to face with another seal. This is usually the way I come across them, as they're looking right at me with their large, curious eyes!



And yet another Double-Breasted Cormorant getting its lunch out of the sea!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hier temperaturen van 35 graden.
Beter dan regen, maar wel heet in zo'n motorpak + helm + handschoenen.

Heb je nog foto's van jullie huis?

groeten,
BertV