Friday, October 13, 2006

VIFF rules!

46 films in 16 days. I laughed. I cried. I related. Walked out of four. And so closes another year at VIFF (Vancouver International Film Festival, no. 25). I met lots of film buffs in the daily ticket allotment line-up, some of who'd flown in from San Diego and as far away as Connecticut. Those folk easily absorbed five films a day, every day. One woman had already surpassed her 100th film mark by the 10th day! Films from around the world, many including their directors and makers in tow. I met a handful of Japanese actors, their director and Art Director one evening. Chatted with them via their interpreter. Some had films making their international premiere here in Vancouver. As a first-time volunteer, I signed on early to accept about 25 hours of work at our local Ridge Theatre. Over and over, I'd meet those friendly folk with a (paid) film pass, commenting about the films they'd seen and ones they'd be seeing on that day. It was truly a world in itself outside busy downtown Vancouver. Enjoyed the chance to do this, especially after having lived eight years in The Netherlands and not once attending the Rotterdam Film Festival.

No comments: