Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Van Life and News

On living in Van: I think it's really cool that our fair city is often referred to as Lotusland. Better than Toronto, where they're lovingly referred to as Hogtown.

And my brilliant career (transitions program), into Week 2: it's going really well. We're well on our way and I feel very much a part of the working world, even though I'm not taking home a paycheck at the end of the week. Many observations, tons of exercises and hand outs to stuff up our binders, and learning more and more about myself (and the group) all the time. As I have a profile now from the Myers-Briggs Temperament Indicator testing system, I can plug into a large group of potential new careers to enhance my talents and personality. Those jobs run the gamut from drama psychotherapy coach to actor to social jobs.

Weather Watcher: nothing to gleam about. Today marked day 24 of rainy days in a row, but luckily not the entire day through. I've walked home from my training program a few times already (can make the walk in about 55 minutes flat from downtown). And actually sweated, since it's mild as can be. The crocus and daffodil greenery is already making a break through the earth, I would say about 5 weeks ahead of its normal schedule. Today we had a few sun breaks.

The Mountains: when the clouds break through, there's whiteness all around! Every chance I get while downtown, I walk to the corner of Howe and Pender Street, and look downward towards the water, to take in the Canada Sails and the Northshore peaks. 9 times out of 10 I get a gorgeous mountain view while the bus makes its way over the Granville Bridge in the morning.

So, those Mighty Canucks, vs. Toronto Maple Leafs: 4-3 win at home! It was a rare appearance by the Leafs in Vancouver, and BC Place (at least from where we were watching on the big screen) was packed! Excellent game, guys! Now that they've won three games in a row, they're off tol face New Jersey on Thursday night.

No comments: