Monday, June 12, 2006

Four Steps to Happiness

Yesterday at Granville Island, my first go at solo kayaking on False Creek:












It's truly wonderful being out so close to sea level, breathing in the salty air and dodging craft of all sizes! The bonus: every few minutes or so came a harbour seal popping its head out of the water, out of curiousity. It would either swim behind me or alongside the kayak, keeping its safe (human) distance. Oh those beautiful big deep eyes. I fall in love at every sighting! Just as Ad had finished taking the first of these photos, I looked behind me for clearance and a seal was following me out of the dock area! These little animals make the ride so much more rewarding and I'm convinced that watching them at the zoo is just plain wrong.

Now I'm hoping to get Ad interested in this (very local) pleasure sport as well. Granville Island's kayak centre is a mere 15 minutes from our house, Jericho Beach about 10-15. With good weather ahead, this will make for a great summer. That, and Ad being in barbeque heaven.

Tomorrow night we'll attend a seminar at the centre focusing on the Gulf Islands. I'm hoping to buy my season's pass that will entitle me to unlimited two hour boat and equipment rental for a full year. As False Creek is relatively calm year-round, this will make for some late fall/early spring trips out. I have seen kayakers out all winter long in these parts, so that too may get me going (fleece and warm pants for sure)!

Hooray for The Netherlands soccer team, beating Serbia 1-0 yesterday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

soccer sucks! but thank you for cheering. ;)

Nice pictures again.

Temperature is rising here, reaching 20 degrees.

BertV

Ariane Kitspace said...

hey Bert,

After 8 years in NL, and now Vancouver with the changing weather patterns, I no longer enjoy the hot climate! 20 degrees is ook lekker!

Morgen weer soccer (I know, whatever!)

groetjes van AC
(glad you enjoy the photos!)

Anonymous said...

I love your site! Nice work, Ariane.

Ariane Kitspace said...

Thanks!

Ariane C